Røde Videomic NTG
The VideoMic NTG, released fresh off the back of the NTG5, is a versatile on-camera shotgun mic. “The VideoMic NTG is a hybrid microphone that brings the signature broadcast-quality sound of our NTG shotgun range to a compact, feature-packed VideoMic,” says Røde Founder and Chairman Peter Freedman AM
- Transparent, natural and uncoloured sound.
- Highly directional supercardioid polar pattern and very flat frequency response – suitable for a wide range of filmmaking, broadcast, and content creation applications.
- Infinitely variable gain control, for precise output adjustment, from mic level to line level to headphone level.
- Auto-sensing 3.5mm output automatically switches between TRS and TRRS to accommodate both cameras (TRS) and mobile devices (TRRS) – no need for adaptor cables.
- USB output – turns the VideoMic NTG into a USB microphone that can record direct to a computer, tablet, or smartphone.
- Headphone output – for audio monitoring (while using the USB output).
- Digital switching – controls high-pass filter, – 20dB pad, high frequency boost, and safety channel.
- dB peak warning light.
- Built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery provides 30+ hours of recording – more than enough for the most demanding shoots. Charges via USB-C in just two hours.
- High-quality Rycote Lyre shockmounting with cable management, plus a sliding rail mount to adjust mic placement on a camera cold shoe.
- Lightweight (just 94g) and rugged – aerospace-grade aluminium construction.
SHOTGUN SOUND, VIDEOMIC SIZE
The VideoMic NTG features the same annular line tube technology as the new NTG5, which employs acoustic perforations along the length of the microphone in place of the linear slots found in other shotguns and on-camera microphones. This acoustic design delivers a natural, uncoloured sound.
The mic also boasts an even frequency response, highly-directional supercardioid polar pattern, and very low self-noise.
Building on developments made with the VideoMic Pro+, the VideoMic NTG features some powerful tools. These include a switchable high-pass filter (at 75Hz or 150Hz) to curtail troublesome low frequencies from wind, traffic, air conditioners, and other environmental noise, plus a high frequency boost to enhance detail and clarity – particularly useful when using a furry windshield. There’s a switchable -20dB pad for recording very loud sound sources, and for added security, a switchable safety channel that records a separate channel at -20dB in case the main channel clips – an absolute lifesaver.
The infinitely variable gain control on the rear of the mic allows users to precisely tailor the output level to their recording device. This is an active control that has a greater output range than other microphones on the market – it can deliver anything from mic level signal all the way to a headphone level output, providing incredible flexibility and improving DSLR sound quality.
An auto-power function automatically switches the mic on when the camera is turned on, ensuring it’s always ready to record, and also helps conserve battery life by switching the mic off when it’s unplugged or the camera is turned off. Speaking of battery life, the VideoMic NTG contains a rechargeable lithium-ion battery that provides 30+ hours of recording – more than enough for the most demanding shoots. This is charged via USB-C (empty to full in two hours), meaning continuous recording is possible with a power pack.
On top of these features, an auto-sensing 3.5mm output intelligently switches between TRS and TRRS to accommodate both cameras and mobile devices – no need for adaptor cables! Finally, a handy dB peak warning light indicates when the internal preamp is clipping – this is particularly useful when recording loud sound sources. In these situations, the -20dB pad can be quickly engaged to attenuate the incoming signal.
USB MIC TOO
The VideoMic NTG is also a fully-featured USB microphone. Its class-compliant USB-C output allows users to plug directly into a computer, tablet, or smartphone, turning it into a studio-quality desktop USB mic, perfect for recording voiceovers, podcasts, gaming or livestreaming.
Headphones can be plugged into the 3.5mm output for monitoring of audio while using the USB output. The headphone level can be adjusted by the variable gain control. This also means the VideoMic NTG can be used as a desktop headphone amp.
THE SWISS ARMY MIC
With its high-quality shock mounting, sliding cold shoe rail, and integrated cable management, the mic is at home atop any DSLR or mirrorless camera. But it’s also light and compact enough for use with smartphone rigs and small cameras, and rugged enough to be used on a boom pole or pistol grip on-location, and it can be used on a desktop as a USB mic.